Tuesday, February 18, 2003

This morning while reading, the words to the following hymn came to me as fitting for today, especially for Naperville Central & today being the day of Zach Clifton's funeral. Below you'll find the story of how the hymn "It Is Well With My Soul" was written- that is, the great tragedy that Horatio Spafford weathered and yet was still able to pen a hymn by such a title.

How is it that someone could say "it is well with my soul" after losing all his children in addition to his assets? I'm not sure I know; I've never been down that road before. But you- and I- have all experienced seasons in life when ti feels like everything has crashed to the ground. I think a clue lies in the 2nd and 3rd verses, where Spafford, rather than focusing on his situation, loss, & grief, chooses instead to focus on the reality that Christ has died for his sins & saved his soul for all eternity.

If you've grown up in the church, the idea that "Christ died for my sins" has likely become very... ordinary. You might even wonder "how is that supposed to encourage me in the face of tragedy & loss?" Consider, however, what your life would be like without Christ. Consider the absence of hope if Christ had not come to shed his blood for your sins & how facing something like death would be all the more dreadful. Consider that your greatest need is to know God and be reconciled to God. And realize that Jesus Christ has met that need. Or as Paul says in Romans:
He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Whatever storms and deserts are making its way through your life, find hope in God, who has met your ultimate need, and who is present in all circumstances. If you do not know God in this way, have questions, or need to know more, I encourage to find a Christian friend and seek out what you need to know, or feel free to send me an e-mail (follow the links); it is of eternal importance.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It Is Well With My Soul
This beloved gospel song was written by a Chicago Presbyterian, Horatio G. Spafford, born in North Troy, New York, on October 20, 1828. As a young man Spafford had established a most successful legal practice in Chicago. Despite his financial success, he always maintained a keen interest in Christian activities. He enjoyed a close and active relationship with D. L. Moody and the other evangelical leaders of that era. He was described by George Stebbins, a noted gospel musician, as a "man of unusual intelligence and refinement, deeply spiritual, and a devoted student of the Scriptures."

Some months prior to the Chicago Fire of 1871, Spafford had invested heavily in real estate on the shore of Lake Michigan, and his holdings were wiped out by this disaster. Just before this he had experienced the death of his son. Desiring a rest for his wife and four daughters as well as wishing to join and assist Moody and Sankey in one of their campaigns in Great Britain, Spafford planned a European trip for his family in 1873. In November of that year, due to unexpected last minute business developments, he had to remain in Chicago; but he sent his wife and four daughters on ahead as scheduled on the S.S. Ville du Havre. He expected to follow in a few days. On November 22 the ship was struck by the Lochearn, an English vessel, and sank in twelve minutes. Several days later the survivors were finally landed at Cardiff, Wales, and Mrs. Spafford cabled her husband, "Saved alone." Shortly afterward Spafford left by ship to join his bereaved wife. It is speculated that on the sea near the area where it was thought his four daughters had drowned, Spafford penned this text with words so significantly describing his own personal grief, "When sorrows like sea billows roll..." It is noteworthy, however, that Spafford does not dwell on the theme of life's sorrows and trials but focuses attention in the third stanza on the redemptive work of Christ and in the fourth verse anticipates His glorious second coming. Humanly speaking, it is amazing that one could experience such personal tragedies and sorrows as did Horatio Spafford and still be able to say with such convincing clarity, "It is well with my soul."


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home